Thursday, March 26, 2009

Read 2nd Bog 1st


Sorry, I had a problem and couldn't finish the last blog entry. Please read my last blog before beginning this. 

Anyway, I had my iphone in my hand while driving, my reading glasses half way down my nose so I could drive and read at the same time. Maneuvering traffic, freeway changes and Dutchess in the back pacing around like she needed to make a deposit, Barkley sick and for what I knew, possibly dying.  I'm thinking, "I could sure use a navigator and another set of eyes and hands right now."
After just one missed street I found the office, jumped out to get  Duchess to a green spot so she could leave her brown spot, and we clumsily entered into the office.  I filled out forms, reminiscent of Pediatrician visits, and was ushered into a room where dogs were weighed and eventually examined.  Because Barkley was in so much pain the Dr. gave him a shot of pain reliever and said that most likely Barleys foot was broken . . . so how could that be since I am with them 24/7 and I never saw or heard anything that would account for something so dramatic?  He agreed but said that if a dog is favoring his leg to the point that he will not walk on it, and if he is in so much pain that he is lathargic and quivering, most likely it is broken.  He started to go into what that would mean with one option being surgery.  I think the word he used was "complicated".  Complicated equals money when it comes from a doctors mouth.  So he proceeded to x ray little Barkley and returned with the results.  "Well, it's broken . . . but not his foot.  It's his NAIL.  I started laughing as said how could a broken nail cause a dog to react this way?  He said, "It shouldn't. I know that a broken nail is painful, but this is outrageous!  I think we will nick name him WEINER! " He cut back the nail, (loud whaling occured) and gave me MORE painkillers, anti biotics and a good laugh. Barkley was so "drunk" from the medication that when I put him in the car he didn't bother getting on the seat. He layed himself over the hump on the floor and didn't move until I carried him out and layed him on his bed.  That was 3 hours ago and he still hasn't moved.  I checked him recently to see if he was still breathing!
At least I will have a good story for Steve on our way home from picking him up at the airport!!

No comments:

Post a Comment